Man dies of meth OD after drinking soda

According to the authorities, 10 more were poisoned after drinking the same brand of soda
File photo/EL UNIVERSAL
19/09/2017
11:00
Gabriela Martínez / Corresponsal
Mexicali
-A +A

José María Soto Gastélum, 33, died after drinking a soda he bought from a convenience store in Valle de Mexicali. According to the autopsy performed by the Forensic Service, the cause of death was congestion of vital organs and severe pulmonary edema due to a methamphetamine overdose.

The Secretary of Health of Baja California, Guillermo Trejo, stated that other 10 people experienced methamphetamine intoxication symptoms after drinking the same brand of soda purchased at the establishment.

Trejo said that, according to the man's relatives, the symptoms began after the man drank a Seven Up soda last Sunday. That very same day, other three people arrived at the clinic of the ISSSTECALI with nausea, vomit, headache, labored breathing and pain in their limbs.

Another six individuals have reported similar symptoms at clinics of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS) and the Institute of Security and Social Services of State Workers (ISSSTE), while the last patient was reported yesterday in Nuevo León.

The coordinator of the Forensic Services in Mexicali, César González, disclosed that toxicology tests performed to Mr. Soto were positive for methamphetamine in “high concentrations”, yet he wasn't a known user of the substance. The director of Protection against Sanitary Risks, Leopoldo Jiménez, said 77 thousand 125 pieces of the soda have been seized and they've requested all establishments to suspend the sale of the product.

am

Mantente al día con el boletín de El Universal

 

COMENTARIOS