Uber employs 8 thousand 400 women in Mexico

According to the company's numbers, 70% of its associates are mothers
File photo/EL UNIVERSAL
11/05/2017
11:30
Querétaro, Mexico
Sara Cantera
-A +A

In over three years of presence in our country, Uber has 8 thousand 400 women working as drivers or delivery people of Uber Eats, said Federico Ranero, CEO of the firm for Mexico and The Caribbean.

Uber has 200 thousand drivers in the country and 7 million users.

Around 70% of the women working for Uber are mothers.

Irma González, a retired preschool teacher, started working for Uber last August in Torreón, Coahuila, since her pension is not enough to cover all her expenses. She drives Monday to Thursday to cover the rent of the car, since she's not the owner, and weekends to get money for her.

Ranero said 30% of their drivers work less than 10 hours a week and the other 70% drives over 12 hours a day. Uber charges its drivers a commission of 12% per trip.

Karla Robles is an Uber Eats associate and everyday goes from Zumpango to Mexico City to deliver food since 10 in the morning.

She is a mother to three kids and is currently working overtime to pay for her daughter's fifteen-year-old party. Her husband is an Uber Eats delivery man as well.

Mexico City is the second most important market to Uber just after New York.

Before becoming associate drivers to the app, 31% of them were professionals, 27% were unemployed and 12% were housewives.

 

al

Mantente al día con el boletín de El Universal

 

COMENTARIOS